Monday, January 12, 2009

Humor me...

Maya has had a sense of humor from early on...
But lately she is starting to understand jokes and funny stories
When Auntie Kate and Gramma & Grampa were visiting from Seattle,
We had an evening of telling jokes around the table
& Grampa attempted to teach Maya the Knock Knock concept...

I sometimes have to ask Maya to tell me when she gets to the funny part.
(punch line is not a term we are gonna try to explain yet...)

and we had another night of jokes/funny stories around the dinner table recently when Bobby and Christy came over for dinner...

She has also started to be interested, concerned if grown ups are laughing
and she doesn't know why...

(The timing of this is serendipitous, as I am working on a show who's main character is a student of humor and tells stories about not getting her parents jokes when she was young - the name of the play is Clean House - by Sara Ruhl...)

anyway all of this is too much exposition...
the point is, this morning when we got to Maya's class room
they were telling jokes while having breakfast!
Hooray.

I sat down with Maya while she ate her oatmeal, and asked her if she wanted to tell me a joke...

She did;
"Once there was a pizza man on our street and he brought a crust!"

...

1 comment:

Team Swinehart said...

That is awesome.
I can just picture it!
Love you guys!